Osun State Police Command has confirmed that music star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, was the intended target of the gun attack that disrupted the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke on Wednesday, August 19, 2026. The attack occurred while the governor was visiting the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo in Oja Oba, Osogbo.
Police Reveal Suspected Confraternity Member Targeted Davido
According to Daily Trust, Osun State Police Public Relations Officer Abiodun Ojelabi stated that a preliminary investigation indicated that members of the Eye Confraternity were the aggressors. Ojelabi said that Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged,” an ex-convict and suspected confraternity member, attempted to force his way through to Davido but was stopped by the singer’s security team.
“The ensuing confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who temporarily blocked the entrance to the palace and obstructed the movement of the convoy of the Governor,” Ojelabi said. Governor Adeleke had earlier received his certificate of return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), and Davido, who played an active role in the election campaign, joined the governor along with his children for both the INEC visit and the trip to the palace.
Shootout Causes Panic, One Man Killed
Residents in the area told reporters that sporadic gunfire lasted for more than 15 minutes as the gang members and the governor's security detail exchanged shots, causing widespread panic. As the suspected gang members left the scene, they allegedly opened fire on a 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf, at the Itaolokan area of Osogbo. Police patrol officers who responded to the scene found Yusuf lying in a pool of blood and rushed him to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, where he was later pronounced dead by doctors on duty.
The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, condemned the attack and pledged that the command would use all available resources to track down and arrest the suspects who fled after the shooting. The police command said a full-scale investigation is now underway and urged anyone with relevant information to contact their nearest police station or reach the command through its official channels. Members of the public were also advised to remain calm and avoid taking the law into their own hands. Ojelabi added that further updates would be issued as the investigation progresses.



