An aide to former President Goodluck Jonathan has refuted widespread speculation that the former Nigerian leader is preparing to contest the 2027 presidential election under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Aide Clarifies Jonathan's Position
Wealth Dickson Ominim-Imagwa, one of Jonathan's media aides, made the clarification during a television interview on News Central on Wednesday, May 20. He stated that there is no factual basis for claims linking Jonathan to political activities or alleged preparations for a presidential comeback.
"There is no evidence anywhere that former President Goodluck Jonathan is running for president in 2027," Ominim-Imagwa said. He added that Jonathan has neither expressed interest in the race nor authorized any individual or group to obtain nomination forms or campaign on his behalf.
The aide emphasized that the former president has not engaged in any activity suggesting a return to partisan politics. Reports circulating in political circles are not backed by any official confirmation from Jonathan or his immediate team. Jonathan has not empowered anyone to act on his behalf regarding the 2027 elections.
Rumors Persist Despite Denial
The clarification comes amid growing political discussions within opposition circles, where some actors have been linked to attempts to draft the former president into the race. In recent weeks, posters and endorsements allegedly associated with Jonathan have appeared in some parts of the country, further fueling speculation. However, his camp has consistently denied involvement in such mobilization efforts.
Jonathan Focused on Global Engagements
Ominim-Imagwa reiterated that the former president remains focused on international diplomacy, democracy promotion, and peacebuilding initiatives. He stated that Jonathan is not engaged in any activity connected to partisan politics at this time.
Jonathan served as Nigeria's president from 2010 to 2015 under the PDP before losing his re-election bid to the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Muhammadu Buhari.
Peter Obi Comments on Jonathan's Ambition
Previously, Legit.ng reported that Peter Obi, a 2027 Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) presidential aspirant, dismissed speculation that Jonathan could pose a threat to his ambition. Obi said he was unconcerned about who might contest against him in the 2027 presidential election.



