Olubadan Halts Demolition of 186 Houses in Ibadan Land Dispute
Olubadan Halts Demolition of 186 Houses in Ibadan

The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja, has intervened in a brewing land dispute at Isokan Estate Extension in the Elebu area of Ibadan, halting the planned demolition of approximately 186 houses that had already been marked for destruction. The monarch also directed affected homeowners whose rooftops had been removed to immediately restore them, while warning alleged land grabbers to stay away from the disputed property pending proper verification of ownership claims.

Stakeholders Meeting

Oba Ladoja gave the directive on Tuesday at his Bodija residence during a stakeholders' meeting convened to prevent escalation of tension in the community. The intervention followed protests by residents of Isokan Estate Extension, who reportedly stormed the Olubadan Palace on Sunday, alleging that several rooftops had been removed between Thursday and Friday preparatory to large-scale demolition.

The residents claimed the exercise stemmed from an Ibadan High Court judgment said to have favored one Mogaji Taofeek Abiola Olopade, popularly known as Mogaji Oloyin, over ownership of about 31 acres of land in the area.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Monarch's Directives

Speaking during the meeting, Oba Ladoja ordered an immediate suspension of all demolition activities and directed that fresh ground markings be carried out by independent surveyors in conjunction with the Oyo State Ministry of Lands to determine the actual boundaries of the disputed land. "By doing so, we would be able to know who is trespassing on whose land and determine the next line of action," the monarch said.

He also commended the new Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, for the prompt deployment of security personnel to the area, which he said helped prevent the situation from degenerating into violence.

Claims and Counterclaims

Mogaji Oloyin, who addressed the gathering, maintained that the disputed land belonged to his family by inheritance and that he possessed a valid court judgment and survey plan affirming his claim. According to him, efforts to engage the affected landlords in dialogue before the enforcement process commenced were unsuccessful.

However, spokesperson for the Isokan Community, Mr Isiaq Olatunji, told the monarch that residents had been living in fear since rooftops and fences of some houses were pulled down. He further alleged that communities beyond the area covered by the court judgment, including Alausa, Aromokun and Oluyedun, were also being threatened, warning that over 400 houses could eventually be affected if urgent intervention was not sustained.

Attendees

Among those present at the meeting were the Chairman of the Association of Ibadan Mogajis, Chief Asimiyu Ariori; Secretary of the Land Committee, Mogaji Odeku; Baale Apena; and aides of the Olubadan.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration