Three Killed, Four Injured in Ebonyi Mining Pit Collapse
Three individuals have been confirmed dead and four others injured following a devastating mining pit collapse in Ebonyi State. The incident occurred on Saturday, February 14, 2026, at a site in Enyim Agalegu Community, Ikwo Local Government Area, under the mining lease of First Patriots Limited, formerly known as Royal Salt.
Community Leader Details Rescue Efforts
Oboke Chukwuma Collins, National Chairman of the Enyim Agalegu Edukwu Opeke Federated Union, reported receiving a distress call around 4 p.m. on Saturday. "I got a call that the site where people are engaged in illegal mining here had collapsed, and I rushed to this place," he stated. Upon arrival, Collins mobilized community members to evacuate overburden covering the victims. "We evacuated some overburden on top of some lifeless persons, about three of them, and we rescued about four who were injured," he explained.
Collins lamented that this tragedy brings the total fatalities at the site to five. He noted that the community had previously written to the company and the state Ministry of Solid Minerals, requesting controlled mining access after the company allegedly completed work at the main pit. However, all efforts to secure approval were rebuffed. "We engaged them in writing, even the Commissioner for Solid Minerals, but they said no. So we, the leadership of the community, backed off from the agitation," he added.
Government and Company Responses
Hon. Chidi Onyia, Ebonyi State Commissioner for Solid Minerals, attributed the recurring accidents to illegal mining driven by greed and the quest for quick money. He stressed that the government was unaware the site had been abandoned, acknowledging receipt of community letters last year. "The company vehemently said no and gave their reasons. They said that the pit is already dangerous and not the kind of place you allow artisans to work," Onyia stated.
He cautioned against sponsoring illegal operations that expose young miners to risks. "It is high time we prioritise lives above monetary value," he emphasized, extending condolences to the families of the deceased.
Lawmaker and Security Perspectives
Ifeanyi Nwakpu, lawmaker representing Ikwo North Constituency, confirmed the recovery of three deceased persons and treatment of four injured victims. He revealed endorsing a community letter requesting site release for controlled mining and had advised the company to secure the pit to prevent further casualties.
Eze Stephen, Chief Security Officer of First Patriots Limited, reported that security agents repeatedly tried to stop illegal mining but faced strong resistance from villagers. "There was a time the company wanted to cover it, but the youths mobilised and came here to stop it. They threatened to cause trouble if the company tried to cover it," he said, highlighting the dangers of using force at the unstable site.
Authorities continue to investigate the full circumstances, including whether more persons might be trapped, as efforts to address illegal mining and enhance safety measures remain ongoing.