Nigeria Has Capacity to Combat Ebola Virus, Says NCDC
Nigeria Has Capacity to Combat Ebola, Says NCDC

NCDC Reassures Nigerians on Ebola Preparedness

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has called on Nigerians to remain calm amid reports of a new Ebola virus strain, emphasizing that the country is well-equipped to handle any potential outbreak. Dr Biodun Ogunniyi, Head of Health Emergency Preparedness at NCDC, gave the assurance during an interview on Channels Television on Thursday, May 21.

“There is no need to panic because fear kills more than death itself,” Dr Ogunniyi stated. “This is not the first time Nigeria is preparing for such an outbreak. We had a scare last year, which allowed us to test our systems, and we are comfortable to an extent.”

He reminded the public of Nigeria’s successful response to the 2014 Ebola outbreak, which was contained within 70 days and earned global commendation. “We supported other African countries after that,” he added.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Improved Health Systems

Dr Ogunniyi noted that Nigeria’s health system is now stronger than in 2014. “We have in-country capacity to contain the virus. The Bundibugyo Ebola virus first appeared in 2007, so it is not new to us. We have systems in place through our Public Health Emergency Operation Centre.”

He highlighted the availability of laboratory networks across the country, including national reference laboratories in Abuja and Lagos, enabling prompt detection. “In 2014, we lacked such capacity. Now we can detect the virus quickly,” he said.

Context of the Outbreak

The reassurance follows news of a new Ebola strain (Bundibugyo) in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where 513 cases and 131 deaths have been reported. The NCDC continues to monitor the situation and urges Nigerians to maintain vigilance without panic.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration