US Navy Secretary John Phelan Resigns Amid Iran Blockade Tensions
US Navy Secretary John Phelan Resigns Amid Iran Blockade

The Pentagon confirmed on Wednesday that US Navy Secretary John Phelan has stepped down from his role, marking another major shake-up in military leadership under Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth. His departure is effective immediately, according to Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell. Navy Undersecretary Hung Cao will assume the role in an acting capacity.

Leadership Changes in the Military

Phelan's exit is the latest in a series of high-ranking military departures. Weeks earlier, Hegseth requested the resignation of Army Chief of Staff Randy George. Two other senior Army officials, Gen David Hodne and Maj Gen William Green, were also removed. Since taking office, Hegseth has dismissed over a dozen senior officers, including the chief of naval operations and the Air Force vice chief of staff.

Tensions Over Shipbuilding Policy

While no official reason was given for Phelan's resignation, reports indicate he clashed with Hegseth over Trump's shipbuilding initiative. Phelan, a civilian businessman and major Trump donor, was sworn in as Navy Secretary in March 2025. He supported Trump's plan to commission a new series of heavily armed Navy battleships known as the "Golden Fleet." Andrew Peek, a former State Department official, commented: "Eventually, somebody was going to take the fall for the lack of movement on that. I would bet that's about 30% of this. The other 70% - Phelan's replacement is very well known to the MAGA base, I would bet it's a simple replacement with someone he likes and trusts better."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Hung Cao Steps In

Hung Cao, a 25-year Navy veteran, became undersecretary in October 2025. He previously ran for the US Senate in Virginia in 2024 with Trump's endorsement but lost to Democratic Senator Tim Kaine. During his campaign, Cao criticized diversity and inclusion programs in the military. Regarding recruitment, he said: "What we need is alpha males and alpha females who are going to rip out their own guts, eat them and ask for seconds. Those are the young men and women that are going to win wars," as reported by the AP.

Wider Context: US-Iran Tensions

The leadership change occurs as the US blockade of Iranian ports continues despite a ceasefire in the war. Clashes in the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global oil route, have escalated, with Iran claiming to have seized two ships. White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt stated that Trump is "satisfied" with the blockade and believes Iran is "in a very weak position." Meanwhile, Iran's chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said reopening the strait is "not possible" due to "the blatant violations of the ceasefire" by the US and Israel.

Earlier, the United States announced plans to stop ships from entering or leaving Iranian ports, according to a statement attributed to President Donald Trump. The message, shared by the White House via X on Monday, April 13, disclosed that the action is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time. While the announcement did not provide further details, such a move could significantly affect maritime activities around Iran and cause fresh tensions in the region.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration