Desmond Elliot Explains Why He Signed Obasa's Impeachment Notice
Desmond Elliot Explains Obasa Impeachment Signature

Lagos State House of Assembly member Desmond Elliot has provided his account of why he signed the impeachment notice against former Speaker Mudashiru Obasa in January 2025. Speaking on Channels Television's Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, May 19, Elliot responded to comments from Femi Gbajabiamila, Chief of Staff to the President, who suggested that Elliot almost faced consequences over intelligence linking him to the impeachment move.

Elliot, who said he was not in Nigeria when the incident occurred, explained that he and his wife had traveled abroad around January 13, 2025, for a family wedding. He stated that he was in South Africa when the impeachment process unfolded. Describing the situation as confusing, he said the development came as a surprise while he was still out of the country. Many lawmakers had already signed the document before his return, and he eventually added his signature after seeing the scale of support for the move.

According to Elliot, there was a widespread belief among lawmakers that the impeachment had approval from the presidency at the time. This assumption influenced his decision to sign. He stated, "I would like to state categorically that I wasn't in the country. And pretty much we thought it was from the presidency. In all fairness, we thought it was from the presidency." Elliot further noted that the situation changed after President Bola Tinubu reportedly clarified that he did not authorize the impeachment. Lawmakers were later instructed to restore Obasa to his position, which they did.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Desmond Elliot Apologizes to Gbajabiamila

In a related development, Elliot publicly apologized to Femi Gbajabiamila over alleged political tensions tied to past disagreements within Lagos All Progressives Congress circles. Speaking on TVC's Your View, Elliot said Gbajabiamila played a key role in his political journey. He stated that any fallout between them was unintentional, despite earlier controversies surrounding the Lagos Assembly leadership crisis. He extended an apology and appealed for forgiveness, affirming his commitment to party unity and service delivery in Surulere.

Elliot Alleges Intimidation Ahead of APC Primaries

Elliot has also alleged intimidation and political pressure ahead of the APC House of Assembly primaries scheduled for May 20 in Surulere constituency. He claimed that party loyalists supporting his ambition were being threatened, and his security aides were abruptly withdrawn without explanation. He urged APC leaders to intervene and ensure a transparent primary election, insisting he would respect the outcome if the process were conducted fairly.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration