Abayomi Hunye, a governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress in Ogun State, has described reports of his alleged suspension from the party as a plot by political opponents to edge him out of the 2027 governorship race.
Hunye denied claims that he had stepped down from the contest or had been suspended or expelled from the party at the ward level. The former Commissioner for Community Development and Cooperatives, who hails from Ogun West Senatorial District, also dismissed reports that he was sacked as Special Adviser and Managing Director of the Ogun State Waste Management Authority (OGWAMA). According to him, he voluntarily resigned from office in April in line with laid down regulations and still received his monthly salary last month.
Hunye maintained that the alleged suspension and expulsion claims were being concocted by individuals seeking to frustrate his governorship ambition. In a statement titled, “Malicious and Baseless Rumours of My Suspension and Sack from OGWAMA and APC,” Hunye described the reports as “a complete fabrication, entirely lacking in factual or legal foundation, and a desperate campaign of calumny.” He insisted there was no basis for any suspension or dismissal, stressing that he had not received any official notification from the party or government.
“No query, formal letter of suspension, or sack has been issued to me by the APC or Ogun State Government. I have not been contacted or summoned by any member of the party’s Executive Committee (EXCO),” he stated.
Hunye also alleged a breach of fair hearing, citing constitutional provisions. “The Nigerian judicial system and political party constitutions strictly protect the right to a fair hearing. Under Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended), a citizen cannot be indicted, suspended, or sacked without being confronted with allegations and given the opportunity to defend themselves,” he said.
The APC governorship aspirant further argued that the purported suspension lacked constitutional backing. “According to Article 21.1 of the APC Constitution, party disciplinary procedures can only be triggered by a written petition, a fair investigation by a duly constituted disciplinary committee, and formal notification. The purported suspension violates these tenets and is therefore null, void, and of no legal effect. Article 21.3 establishes that disciplinary actions initiated by grassroots organs such as at the ward or local government levels must progress up the party hierarchy and cannot be unilaterally enforced or made binding on any member without the formal ratification or approval of the National Working Committee (NWC),” he added.
Hunye reiterated that he voluntarily resigned as Special Adviser on April 20, 2026, insisting that he was not removed from office. “My resignation was a carefully considered political and legal step. It fully complies with Section 84(12) of the Electoral Act 2022, which requires political appointees aspiring for or participating in partisan political processes to relinquish their appointive positions prior to contesting or engaging in certain electoral procedures,” he said.
He expressed confidence in the leadership of the party, saying the Ogun APC chairman would not allow the party machinery to be used for blackmail or misinformation against loyal members. Hunye urged the public, media and APC members to disregard the rumours, insisting he remained a loyal party member and governorship aspirant.
“Any rumoured suspension must be ratified by the National Working Committee (NWC) to be legally binding. I was duly screened and officially cleared to contest the governorship primary by the NWC of our great party. Furthermore, as a dedicated and card-carrying member of the APC, all my financial obligations, including party membership dues, are duly paid and up to date. I possess the official receipts and valid documentation evidencing my financial standing within the party,” he stated.
He described the reports as deliberate misinformation aimed at destabilising his campaign and weakening the morale of his supporters. “Our campaign remains focused, and I am fully cleared, qualified and ready to participate in the direct primaries. I assure you that our vision for a greater Ogun State remains on course, and we will not be distracted by the machinations of those who fear the will of the people,” Hunye added.



