Taraba APC Primaries Flawed, Says Aspirant Kente as He Withdraws
Taraba APC Primaries Flawed, Says Aspirant Kente

Chief David Sabo Kente, a leading governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has withdrawn from the Taraba state governorship race, citing the need to preserve political stability, peace, and unity within the party and the state. Kente announced his decision on Wednesday in Jalingo, where he also expressed disappointment with the conduct of the APC primaries in the state, saying he had concluded that “nothing good can possibly come out of it.”

Consultations and Decision

The APC stalwart said his withdrawal followed extensive consultations with political stakeholders, supporters, and leaders across religious, ethnic, and political divides both within and outside Taraba state. According to him, his decision to join the governorship race was initially influenced by calls from residents who believed the current administration had failed to meet expectations and desired a change in leadership.

Kente explained that despite his initial reluctance, he eventually accepted to contest because of what he described as overwhelming support and confidence from the people. He pointed to the large crowds that welcomed him in Wukari and Jalingo as proof of his popularity and acceptance across the state.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Governor's Appeal

The politician further disclosed that Governor Agbu Kefas personally visited him in Jalingo shortly after his arrival in the state and appealed to him to allow the governor complete his remaining four-year tenure. Kente said while consultations with supporters were still ongoing, increasing pressure from influential leaders within and outside the state persuaded him to reconsider his ambition in the interest of maintaining political stability.

“After due consultation with all relevant stakeholders, especially my political supporters who sacrificed their resources to purchase the Expression of Interest and Nomination forms for me, I have decided to step aside from the race,” he said.

No Financial Inducement

He also dismissed rumours that he had been financially induced to withdraw from the contest. “Let me emphasise here that no one has settled me. My decision is strictly in the interest of political stability, peace, and unity of our party and the entire Taraba State. This is not for any personal gain,” Kente stated.

The aspirant noted that he had invested heavily in the governorship project but insisted that the interest of the people must come first. He urged his supporters to remain calm, remain loyal to the APC, and continue supporting the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, whom he described as having good intentions for Taraba state and Nigeria. He assured supporters that he would continue to provide political direction in the coming days and remain committed to the vision of a “greater, better, and more prosperous Taraba and Nigeria.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration