Kano father vows never to forgive teacher who raped his four daughters
Kano father vows never to forgive teacher who raped his four daughters

A Kano father, Lawal Ayuba Madaki, has declared that he will never forgive the schoolteacher he entrusted with the moral and academic upbringing of his four daughters, who allegedly betrayed that trust by sexually abusing them. The victims, three of a set of quadruplets—Hassana, Hussaina, and Hussaina, aged 7—and their 5-year-old sister, were allegedly abused by the teacher identified as Kamal Abdulmuminu, whom the children fondly called “Uncle Kamal.”

The children’s mother discovered signs that they had been sexually abused and promptly informed their father, leading to the arrest and remand of Kamal. The father, originally from Nasarawa Local Government Area but resident in Inusawa, Ungogo Local Government Area, recounted the ordeal: “I was seated outside my furniture workshop when the mother of the children, who is also my wife, called and informed me of the very sad news. We took them to the hospital where, after examination, it was confirmed they had been sexually abused. We went to Dantamashe Police Station to lodge a formal complaint. The police later took the children to Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital for another round of tests, after which doctors also confirmed sexual abuse. We returned to the school and the suspect, who is their teacher and vice principal, was arrested.”

He said the children revealed that the teacher had abused them on several occasions, usually calling them to his office one after another after break time. The school was identified as Al-Hadeed Private School, located at Kwanar Dorasa, Inusawa, in Ungogo Local Government Area. Madaki explained that the children are quadruplets—three girls and a boy—born in 2019. He said the boy is not currently living with him, while another daughter, aged five, is also enrolled in the same school.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

“The suspected teacher is now in custody, and the matter is before a magistrate’s court, which has adjourned the case till June 9,” he said. He recalled that the children initially complained of stomach aches, but despite medication, the complaints persisted. It was at that stage that their mother noticed something unusual in one of the girls. “She observed a discharge from one of the girls’ private parts and, when questioned, the six-year-old confessed that it was their teacher. Thereafter, the mother checked the others and discovered they had all been assaulted,” he added.

Madaki appealed to the local, state and federal governments to ensure diligent prosecution of the case and justice for the children. He also called on the Emir of Kano and human rights organisations, especially groups focused on women and children, to monitor the proceedings. “We will never forgive him till eternity,” he said.

Al’yasa Ayuba Madaki, the children’s uncle, who is handling the case in court, said the suspect was arraigned but pleaded not guilty to the charges. “Because of this, the matter was adjourned till June 9. His lawyer applied for bail yesterday [Monday], but the presiding magistrate held that she could not grant bail at this stage because of the gravity of the offence,” he explained. He stressed that such an offence should not attract bail, noting that it is a capital offence, especially as the victims are minors. Al’yasa Madaki said the school had not officially commented on the matter, but its management had been pleading with the family to withdraw the case. “I am the one handling the case because of the father’s illness, and I boldly told them we are not going to withdraw it,” he declared.

Child rights activist Aisha Haruna Kabuga, Kano State and Northern Coordinator of the National Council of Child Rights Advocates of Nigeria, described the incident as unfortunate. She said civil society organisations would monitor the proceedings and urged the state government to establish a Child Rights Act implementation committee, noting that the Ministry of Women Affairs alone could not handle all cases of child abuse. Kabuga also observed that there were no effective mechanisms in either private or public schools in Kano State to ensure the protection of children’s rights. “The sexual abuse of four children from one family should not be treated lightly. Civil society organisations will monitor the proceedings to their logical conclusion to ensure justice,” she said.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

Barrister Badamasi Gandu, counsel prosecuting the case, advised parents with children in the same school to examine them to ensure they had not also been abused. “There is a likelihood that the suspect abused other children,” he warned. Meanwhile, the Chairman of Ungogo Local Government Area, Tijjani Amiru Bilyaminu, has ordered the closure of Al-Hadeed Private School until further notice.