Zambia ex-minister killed in raid on opposition leader's home
Zambia ex-minister killed in raid on opposition leader's home

A former Zambian cabinet minister was shot and killed during a security force raid on the home of the main opposition leader, following last week's presidential elections. Police confirmed the death of Mutotwe Kafwaya, 49, late on Wednesday amid growing demands for information about his whereabouts.

Details of the Raid and Shooting

A police spokesman said Kafwaya was fatally wounded by law enforcement officers during what officials described as an exchange of fire in a security operation in the capital, Lusaka, on Friday. The raid targeted the residence of opposition leader Mundubile, who has since gone into hiding.

According to the BBC, eleven people were arrested in the raid. Authorities accused Mundubile's party, the NRPUP, of being "involved in insurgency" and "militia activity" and storing "high-grade" weapons. Mundubile rejected the allegations as "total fabrications."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Police said they encountered "gunfire and resistance from unknown individuals, resulting in [them] returning fire." In a statement, they added: "In the process, one unidentified male person was fatally wounded, and the firearm was recovered." Family members subsequently identified the deceased as Kafwaya.

Political Context and Election Dispute

According to official results, incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema won a second five-year term with a 60% share of the vote. Mundubile trailed behind with 38% and plans to challenge the outcome in court after alleging the tallying process had been tampered with.

Speaking about Kafwaya on Tuesday, the opposition leader said he had had no information about his whereabouts after he had been shot during the raid, which he said took place at his house. The police confirmed Kafwaya's death late on Wednesday, responding to growing public demands for information.

Kafwaya's Political Career

Kafwaya first became a lawmaker in 2016 and was appointed by then-President Edgar Lungu as the Minister for Works in 2018. He moved to the transport ministry the following year and served there until 2021, when Lungu lost to Hichilema in the presidential election of that year. He continued serving as an opposition member of parliament.

Observer Concerns and Electoral Integrity

Regional and international observers described the election day as largely peaceful but raised concerns about late electoral reforms, media freedom, and access to the media in the run-up to the poll. The EU election observation mission warned at the weekend that restrictions on the opposition in the campaigning period may have contributed to an "uneven contest."

In its report on Wednesday, the observers said the results tabulation process "deteriorated significantly" once counting had resumed after a six-hour pause. The electoral commission halted the count citing violence against its staff and alleging ballot-box theft. The EU mission said staff in many centres did not record results on tally sheets as soon as they were announced and cited weak verification between digital entries and paper records. It added that returning officers frequently paused proceedings while awaiting instructions from headquarters.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration