Real Madrid Submits Evidence to UEFA in Vinicius Jr. Racism Investigation
Real Madrid Submits Evidence in Vinicius Racism Probe

Real Madrid Submits Comprehensive Evidence to UEFA in Vinicius Jr. Racism Investigation

Real Madrid CF has officially confirmed that they have submitted all available evidence to UEFA as the governing body conducts a disciplinary investigation into allegations of racism made by forward Vinícius Júnior. The incident occurred during Tuesday's Champions League knockout round play-off tie in Lisbon against SL Benfica.

Details of the Alleged Incident and Official Statements

The Brazil international reported that he experienced racial abuse from a Benfica player during the match, specifically informing referee Francois Letexier of the situation. Real Madrid has identified the player in question as Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni. In response, UEFA confirmed on Wednesday, February 19, that it had opened a formal disciplinary investigation into the events that transpired at the match.

Real Madrid issued a detailed statement outlining their full cooperation with the investigation. "Real Madrid CF announces that it has today provided UEFA with all available evidence regarding the incidents that occurred during the Champions League match that our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica," the statement read. "Our club has actively co-operated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match."

Match Disruption and Player Reactions

The match was temporarily paused in accordance with UEFA protocols after Vinícius alleged he had been subjected to abuse following his goal celebration. Play was halted for approximately 10 minutes before resuming, with the forward completing the entire game. After the match, Vinícius expressed his frustration on his Instagram story, writing in Portuguese: "Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are."

He further criticized the handling of the situation, stating: "But they have protection from others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish. Nothing that happened today is new in my life and my family's. I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. Still not understanding why. On the other side, just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose."

Denials and Broader Criticism

In response to the allegations, Gianluca Prestianni denied making any racist comment in a post on Instagram. SL Benfica also criticized what they described as a "smear campaign" against their player. Additionally, Benfica head coach Jose Mourinho has faced criticism from anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out, which labeled his post-match remarks as "gaslighting."

Mourinho commented to Amazon Prime: "I told [Vinicius], when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back. They [Vinicius and Prestianni] told me different things. But I don't believe in one or another. I want to be an independent." He added that "something happens, always" in matches where Vinícius plays.

Ongoing Investigation and Club Commitment

UEFA's investigation into the incident remains ongoing, with no final resolution announced at this time. Real Madrid emphasized their commitment to combating racism in their statement, noting: "Real Madrid is grateful for the unanimous support and affection that our player Vinicius Jr. has received from all sectors of the global football community. Real Madrid will continue working, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and in society."

This case highlights the persistent issue of racism in football, prompting calls for stricter enforcement of anti-discrimination policies and protocols across the sport.