ICPC Dismisses El-Rufai's Wife's Claims of Denied Access as False
ICPC Rejects El-Rufai's Wife's Access Claims

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has firmly rejected accusations made by the wife of former Kaduna State Governor Nasir el-Rufai that she was prevented from delivering food to her husband while he remains in the commission's custody.

ICPC Spokesman Addresses Allegations

Speaking to journalists at the ICPC headquarters in Abuja, the commission's spokesman, John Odey, described the claims, which surfaced in a viral video interview featuring one of el-Rufai's wives, as entirely false and misleading. He emphasized that the commission's access control policy permits visitors between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., and this applies uniformly to all individuals without any exceptions.

Odey clarified that the woman in question reportedly arrived at around 7:00 p.m., well after the approved visitation period, despite having adhered to the regulations earlier that day. “The ICPC wishes to state categorically that these claims are false and misleading,” he asserted.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Multiple Visits Allowed on Same Day

The spokesman further revealed that family members of el-Rufai were granted access on several occasions the same day to bring meals. “On the Friday in question, one of the defendant’s wives and a housemaid were permitted to bring food to the defendant on no fewer than three occasions, between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.,” Odey stated.

Displaying portions of the visitors' register, he noted: “Six entries belonging to this family members who came here to deliver food, breakfast, lunch, dinner, to this defendant who is in our custody. What does this tell you? It tells you clearly that he is not being denied food.”

Medical Access Clarified

The ICPC also rejected allegations that el-Rufai was denied access to medical personnel. Odey explained that the commission simply requested proper identification and formal authorization before granting entry to a visitor claiming to be part of his medical team. According to him, the former governor had previously been allowed to visit his dentist and eye doctor under official escort after written requests were submitted.

“He wrote, one of his wives wrote, requesting for that permission and it was granted. The Commission accompanied him on both visits,” Odey said. He added: “Our doctors, our nurses, the people in our lab are open to him, but it will have to be if he requests for it. And there is no time he has requested that we have not honoured.”

Security Measures for High-Profile Detainee

Describing el-Rufai as a high-profile politically exposed person, the commission stated that stricter security procedures are necessary for his protection and that of others in custody. “Given his profile, the ICPC is obligated to maintain elevated security measures for his protection as well as that of all other persons in custody,” Odey said.

Denial of Political Motivation

The commission also dismissed claims that el-Rufai’s detention was politically motivated, insisting the matter remains purely judicial. “The ICPC is not a political party. The ICPC does not play politics,” the spokesman stated.

According to the commission, el-Rufai remains in custody because he has yet to fulfill the conditions attached to his bail. “The court granted him bail. Mallam Nasir El-Rufai is yet to meet his bail conditions. If he meets his bail conditions now, I can assure you the ICPC will let him go,” Odey said.

Health Status Update

Odey also dismissed rumors regarding the former governor’s health, saying: “On his health, he is hale and hearty, doing well.” He added that el-Rufai himself had not accused the commission of mistreatment or persecution. “This is not el-Rufai complaining, el-Rufai has not complained,” he concluded.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration