Wike Orders Demolition of Houses on Abuja Water Channels by Saturday
Wike Orders Demolition of Abuja Water Channel Houses by Saturday

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has issued a demolition order for all houses built on water channels across Abuja, setting a Saturday, August 18, deadline for action as flooding continues to disrupt daily life in the capital. The announcement came during a press conference in Abuja, where Wike stated that authorities had inspected affected sites and confirmed that structures were blocking approved drainage routes in the city's master plan.

Minister's Warning to Property Owners

Wike said property owners had gambled on government inaction, but recent floods exposed the scale of the problem. He was direct about the status of those affected, noting that some buildings belong to senators and other influential individuals. He dismissed any anticipation of political pressure, saying he expected campaigns to stop him but that demolitions would proceed regardless.

"Some of them are senators. Some of them are big men," Wike said. "The last thing you will see now is a campaign. 'Oh, why is he doing this?' That is the last campaign you will see. Heaven will not fall." He added that the flood had served a useful purpose by drawing official attention to the blocked channels, making it impossible to ignore the problem any longer.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Flooding Crisis in Abuja

Abuja residents have faced significant flooding in recent weeks, and public frustration has been directed at Wike's administration over the state of the city's drainage infrastructure. The minister had previously said the flooding situation predated his time in office. His Saturday deadline signals a shift to direct enforcement rather than warnings, and his tone at the press conference left little room for negotiation with property owners on affected land.

In a related development, Legit.ng reported earlier that Wike had publicly dared critics to disprove road construction claims tied to President Bola Tinubu's administration, staking his resignation on the figures he presented at a commissioning ceremony in Abuja on Friday, July 17, 2026. Speaking during the inauguration of the reconstructed Arab/Gbazango road in Kubwa, Wike said 221 kilometres of roads have been completed out of 317 kilometres awarded across satellite towns in the FCT since Tinubu assumed office in May 2023.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration