The community of Atlantis in South Africa is in shock after an 11-year-old girl gave birth, allegedly as a result of sexual abuse by her mother's boyfriend. The child delivered last week and has since been removed from her home and placed in a safe location.
Arrests and Court Appearances
The 32-year-old suspect appeared briefly in the Atlantis Magistrate’s Court on Monday, May 18, 2026, facing charges of rape. He was arrested following a police warrant. The girl's mother was also arrested and charged with failure to report a sexual offense. She appeared in the same court and has been remanded in custody, with a bail application expected on Tuesday, May 19.
Political Reaction
Democratic Alliance (DA) Member of Parliament Nicholas Gotsell, who serves on the NCOP Committee on Security and Justice, stated he will oppose the release of the alleged rapist. “Child rapists must be removed from society. The DA is appalled by the rape of an 11-year-old girl who has recently given birth. Whilst we will allow the law to take its course, the DA will exert even more pressure on the Acting Minister of Police to provide answers to its letter dated May 17, expressing its concern about the Western Cape Provincial Police Commissioner’s disregard for the fight against gender-based violence and femicide (GBVF),” Gotsell said.
Lack of Resources
Gotsell expressed alarm after visiting Atlantis and finding no rape kits for children. “During several oversight visits on Thursday and Friday and again today [Monday] to the Atlantis police station, the DA found barely any D1 (adult) rape kits and no D7 rape kits for children. This has raised the question of resourcing of SAPS FCS units, who work with the most vulnerable persons in these societies, over the past weeks,” he said. The DA has requested details of all rape and sexual assault cases reported at these stations and will monitor investigations to ensure evidence collection leads to convictions.
“The inaction by SAPS senior management in the Western Cape indicates that the President’s promise of GBV being declared a national state of disaster was a lie,” Gotsell added. The case against the alleged rapist has been postponed to May 26 for a formal bail application.



