A 55-year-old chieftain of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Shamsudeen Oladiti, also known as “Shamelon,” has been arraigned before the Lagos State High Court in Ikeja over the alleged killing of a dispatch rider, Ramon Imam. Oladiti faces a three-count charge including involuntary manslaughter, conspiracy, and attempted murder.
Details of the Charges
The prosecution counsel, Jubril Kareem, informed the court that the alleged offenses occurred between August 27 and September 17, 2025. According to the prosecutor, the defendant and others still at large conspired to commit the crimes on September 17, 2025, at about 10 a.m. on Lewis Street, Lagos Island. Kareem further told Justice Olawale Alebiosu that Oladiti allegedly caused Imam’s death later that same day at around 3 p.m. by repeatedly beating him with fists and striking him on the head and face.
The prosecution also alleged that on August 27, 2025, at about 10 a.m., the defendant attempted to murder Samuel Omale by assaulting him with fists, causing severe injuries at the same location on Lagos Island. These offenses contravene Sections 224, 411, and 230 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
Defendant Pleads Not Guilty
Oladiti pleaded not guilty to all charges. His defense counsel, Olanrewaju Ajanaku, informed the court that a bail application dated April 27, 2026, had been filed and served on the prosecution, which acknowledged receipt. “May we humbly move the application for bail. The same has been served and my learned friend has confirmed receipt,” Ajanaku said.
Prosecutor Kareem confirmed service of the application and stated that the prosecution had no objection. However, he noted that the defense also sought an order directing the Nigerian Correctional Service to confirm the defendant’s medical condition. Ajanaku urged the court to grant a medical evaluation at a Lagos State Government hospital.
Court Ruling and Adjournment
In a bench ruling, Justice Alebiosu granted the application and directed the Controller of Corrections at Kirikiri Correctional Centre to facilitate confirmation of Oladiti’s medical condition at a state-owned hospital. The court had earlier declined the defendant’s bail application due to filing errors. The case was adjourned to June 15, 2026, for trial.



