The trial of former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai intensified at the Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday, May 19, as a prosecution witness presented fresh claims regarding an alleged intercepted conversation involving National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu.
Prosecution Witness Testifies on Key Evidence
The federal government, through the Department of State Services (DSS), has accused El-Rufai of unlawfully interfering with sensitive communications and breaching national security laws under the Cybercrimes (Amendment) Act, 2024. He faces five amended charges.
According to a report by The Punch, the witness told the court that both Ribadu and the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), Musa Adamu Aliyu, confirmed that a private discussion referenced by El-Rufai did take place. Investigators reached out to both officials after the former governor mentioned the conversation during a televised interview on Arise TV.
During the hearing, the court watched a 43-minute segment of that interview, in which El-Rufai allegedly claimed that a conversation involving the NSA had been intercepted and later sent to him. He also argued that governments often monitor private communications.
The prosecution stated that after reviewing the interview, investigators questioned journalists and media staff connected to the broadcast. Some of their statements were presented as evidence without objection from the defence team.
Witness and Defence Clash Over Forensic Evidence
An Arise TV anchor reportedly confirmed that El-Rufai acknowledged during the interview that a private conversation had been intercepted and passed to him. He added that such practices were not unusual in government circles. A cameraman also confirmed setting up the equipment used for the recording, though he said he did not follow the conversation closely.
The prosecution argued that El-Rufai's statements amounted to an "open confession" that the NSA's conversation had been tapped and shared with him. Based on this, investigators recommended prosecution, citing a risk to national security.
However, during cross-examination, defence counsel Chief Paul Erokoro (SAN) challenged the investigation's strength. He pointed out that no forensic checks were carried out on any devices, and no IP addresses or technical data were examined to prove interception occurred.
The witness responded that such technical steps were unnecessary because Ribadu and the ICPC chairman had already confirmed the discussion referenced in the interview. He also said El-Rufai never clearly stated that he personally carried out any interception, though he maintained that the former governor consistently stood by his claims.
When asked whether El-Rufai might have been speaking loosely during a political interview, the witness, who described him as someone of integrity, said he believed the former governor meant what he said.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik adjourned the case to June 22 and 23 for further hearing.



