Cuban President Warns of 'Bloodbath' If US Attacks Amid Rising Tensions
Cuban President Warns of 'Bloodbath' If US Attacks

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has issued a stark warning that a United States military assault on Cuba would trigger a bloodbath with incalculable consequences, as tensions between Havana and Washington escalate to levels not seen in decades.

President's Warning on X

In a post on the social media platform X, Díaz-Canel stated that Cuba poses no threat to any country and has no aggressive plans or intentions against the United States, a fact he claims the US government knows well. He wrote, 'The threats of military aggression against Cuba from the world's greatest power are well-known. The threat itself already constitutes an international crime. If it were to materialize, it would trigger a bloodbath with incalculable consequences, plus the destructive impact on regional peace and stability.'

Right to Self-Defense

The Cuban leader added that the island is already suffering what he called a multidimensional aggression from the US. He asserted that Cuba has the absolute and legitimate right to defend itself against a military assault, but emphasized that this cannot logically or honestly be used as an excuse to impose a war against the noble Cuban people.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Bilateral Relations at Low Point

Bilateral relations between the two countries are at one of their lowest points in decades, with renewed pressure from US President Donald Trump and a spiraling energy crisis on the communist-run island. Recently, Cuba's energy minister announced that a last-minute Russian oil donation had been exhausted, meaning Cubans will have to endure more power cuts.

New US Sanctions

On Monday, the Trump administration announced new sanctions on the Cuban government, targeting its main intelligence agency and interior ministry. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated that additional sanctions actions can be expected in the coming days and weeks. The US also sanctioned 11 Cuban officials, including the Minister of Justice and the Deputy Minister of Cuba's Revolutionary Armed Forces.

Impact on Shipping and Food Scarcity

Another blow to the island came Sunday when reports surfaced that major shipping companies Hapag-Lloyd and CMA CGM will no longer ship to or from Cuba to comply with new Trump administration rules. This move is likely to exacerbate food scarcity on the island. For decades, the collapse of Cuba's agricultural sector and economic mismanagement have forced the government to import much of the food the island consumes. Even items like sugar, coffee, and tobacco, which the island once produced in large quantities, are now being imported.

Trump's Predictions

In recent months, Trump has often predicted the end of the Castro regime in remarks to the press. In a Fox News interview aired on Friday, he said, 'I think they're going to have to come to us. It's a failed nation. It's a totally failed nation.'

Possible Indictment of Raúl Castro

Beyond the longstanding economic embargo and an oil blockade that has pushed the island's energy crisis to its limits, the United States is preparing an indictment against former President Raúl Castro, according to sources. The indictment would mark a significant escalation in the US stance against the Cuban government. On Friday, Trump declined to comment on the possible case against Castro, saying he would let the Justice Department comment on it, but added that Cubans need help.

Foreign Minister's Response

Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez said on Monday on X that Cuba has the right to legitimate self-defense against any external aggression. He wrote, 'Those who seek to illegitimately attack Cuba resort to any pretext, no matter how deceitful and ridiculous, to justify an attack that runs contrary to US and world public opinion.' The day before, Rodríguez wrote that the Trump administration builds, day after day, a fraudulent case to justify the ruthless economic war against the Cuban people and eventual military aggression.

CIA Director's Visit

The Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), John Ratcliffe, traveled to Havana last week for a rare meeting with officials from the Ministry of the Interior and heads of the island's intelligence services.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

Preparations for Potential Attack

For many Cubans, a potential US military attack feels imminent, and they are taking preparations accordingly. In anticipation of such a scenario, over the past few days Cuba's Civil Defense has circulated a family guide on how to act during a hypothetical military aggression against Cuba. The guide recommends, among other things, preparing a backpack with non-perishable items. It urges people to stay alert to air raid sirens and is titled 'Protect, Resist, Survive, and Prevail.'