The Defence Headquarters (DHQ), in coordination with the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), has intensified its campaign against ISIS militants in North-East Nigeria. Fresh airstrikes in the Metele area of Borno State have reportedly killed more than 20 fighters.
Details of the Operation
In a statement released yesterday, the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba, confirmed that the multiple airstrikes were conducted after intelligence indicated a convergence and movement of terrorist elements in the region. He stated that the operation resulted in the elimination of over 20 ISIS/ISWAP combatants.
Uba noted that this latest action follows the killing of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki on Saturday. The operations are part of sustained efforts to dismantle terrorist networks and deny insurgents any safe haven within Nigeria.
“The ongoing operations are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield and deny the terrorists any haven within Nigeria,” Uba said. “The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation. Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated. There will be no haven for terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” he added.
US Lawmaker Commends Trump
Meanwhile, United States congressman Riley Moore has credited President Donald Trump for ordering the joint Nigerian-American operation that killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as the second-in-command of ISIS globally. Moore, a Republican lawmaker and member of the House Appropriations Committee, made these remarks during an interview on NewsNation with anchor Anna Kooiman on Sunday.
“President Trump is laser focused on defending our Christian brothers and sisters in Nigeria against the slaughter and martyrdom they’ve faced at the hands of radical Islamic terrorists,” Moore wrote on his X account yesterday, alongside a clip of the interview. “The strike on Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, ISIS number 2 globally, sends a clear message: those who target innocent Christians will be hunted down and brought to justice. Do not test President Trump’s resolve,” he added.
Moore said the administration’s engagement with Nigeria had intensified following Trump’s designation of the country as a nation of particular concern on October 31 last year. He further stated that Trump had personally directed him to investigate the situation.



