NSA Confirmed El-Rufai's Wiretap Claim Authentic, Witness Testifies at Treason Trial
NSA Confirmed El-Rufai Wiretap Claim, Witness Says

The trial of former Kaduna State governor Nasir el-Rufai on charges of treason and breach of national security resumed on Monday at the Federal High Court in Abuja, where the prosecution presented evidence concerning an alleged intercepted conversation involving the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

Prosecution Plays Interview Evidence

During the proceedings, prosecutors played a 43-minute television interview in which El-Rufai reportedly stated that someone had wiretapped a private conversation involving Ribadu and forwarded it to him. The prosecution alleged that the former governor also defended the interception during the interview, arguing that governments routinely monitor communications.

Witness Testimony on Confirmation

A prosecution witness told the court that investigators later interviewed Ribadu, who confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai had indeed taken place between him and the chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC). The witness added that the ICPC chairman also confirmed the discussion after portions of the interview were played to him.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

According to the prosecution, the program anchor Charles Aniagolu, activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju, and cameraman Ugochukwu Agalayana were later invited for questioning. Aniagolu reportedly confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that someone intercepted the conversation and passed it to him, while also maintaining that governments regularly engage in such practices.

Evidence Admitted

Statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju were tendered by the prosecution and admitted into evidence as Exhibits C, C1, and E without objection from the defense. Another statement from Agalayana was admitted as Exhibit D after the cameraman confirmed setting up the equipment used during the interview, although he said he did not pay attention to the actual discussion.

Open Confession Allegation

The prosecution witness told the court that investigators concluded El-Rufai made what they described as an 'open confession' regarding the interception of the NSA's conversation during the interview. According to the witness, the investigation team believed the alleged act was capable of undermining national security and subsequently recommended prosecution. A preliminary investigation report tendered by the prosecution was also admitted into evidence as Exhibit F.

Cross-Examination

Under cross-examination by defense lawyer Paul Erokoro, the witness admitted that investigators did not examine any communication devices belonging to the NSA, obtain IP addresses, or carry out forensic analysis relating to the alleged interception. However, the witness insisted those steps became unnecessary after Ribadu reportedly confirmed the authenticity of the conversation referenced during the interview.

The witness also acknowledged that El-Rufai never specifically claimed to have personally carried out the interception but maintained that the former governor repeatedly stood by the assertion that the conversation had been tapped and forwarded to him. When asked whether El-Rufai may simply have been exaggerating during a politically charged television appearance, the witness said he considered the former governor 'a person of integrity' and believed he meant what he said during the broadcast.

Adjournment

Following the conclusion of the cross-examination of the first prosecution witness, presiding judge Joyce Abdulmalik adjourned further hearing in the matter until June 22 and 23.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration