Simeone Apologises to Lookman for Striker Role in Villarreal Draw
Simeone Apologises to Lookman for Striker Role

Atletico Madrid head coach Diego Simeone has publicly apologised to Nigeria international Ademola Lookman after fielding him as a centre-forward for a second straight match, admitting the role does not suit the winger's natural game. The apology came after Atletico's 2-2 La Liga draw against Villarreal on Saturday, where Lookman again started as the number nine.

Lookman's Uncomfortable Stint as Number Nine

Lookman, who typically operates on the wing, was again selected as the central striker during the Villarreal match, having previously worn the role in Atletico's 2-0 victory over Malaga. The Nigerian looked noticeably uncomfortable in both outings, struggling to influence the game from an unfamiliar position.

Giuliano Simeone was the more influential figure against Villarreal, setting up Marc Pubil for the opening goal before scoring a late equaliser after Villarreal had converted two penalties to turn the game around, as noted by Sofascore. Despite the dramatic nature of the match, the focus post-game shifted to Lookman's deployment.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Simeone's Apology and Explanation

Speaking after the Villarreal match, the Atletico manager said he addressed the matter directly with Lookman in the dressing room. “I apologised to Ademola Lookman, first, in the locker room, telling him: 'I know it's not your place; you were supposed to help us because right now Alexander Sørloth is injured, Julián Álvarez is recovering very well, and he's the one helping us,'” he said via Futbol Fantasy.

Simeone acknowledged that the deployment has stripped Lookman of the qualities that make him most effective as a player. “He's missing what he enjoys, which is dribbling, scoring goals, and taking on defenders one-on-one. And we're going to give him that back, obviously, when we have the forwards available to share those spaces on the field that make us better as a team,” he added.

Temporary Arrangement and Upcoming Fixture

The manager's comments confirm that the arrangement is temporary, with the return of the club's senior strikers expected to restore Lookman to his preferred wide position. Atletico Madrid's next fixture is an away trip to Sevilla on Saturday, where it remains to be seen whether Lookman will again be pressed into service as a false nine or whether Álvarez's recovery allows the coach to restore his forward line to full strength.

Legit.ng previously reported that Diego Simeone spoke about Lookman playing out of position during the 2-0 victory over Malaga. The manager admitted that he is trying to find solutions with his strikers unavailable due to injury and transfer issues, particularly Julian Alvarez. The situation underscores the tactical adjustments Atletico have had to make amid their attacking injury crisis, with Lookman's versatility being tested as the team navigates a congested early-season schedule.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration