Gunmen suspected to be terrorists have kidnapped the traditional ruler of Igbesi community, Oba Moses Oyinloye Iwedunmoye I, the Kabiyesi Onigbesi of Igbesi land, in the Isin Local Government Area of Kwara State. The Kwara State Commissioner of Police, Ojo Adekimi, confirmed the abduction on Sunday, August 23, 2026, following a late-night raid on the community.
Attack Details and Police Confirmation
According to a local source cited by Vanguard, the attackers descended on the sleepy community at around 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 22, 2026, and took the monarch to an unknown location. The source said the number of victims and the whereabouts of the abducted ruler were still unclear at the time the report was filed.
Commissioner of Police Adekimi confirmed the monarch's kidnapping but pushed back on reports that other residents had been taken alongside him. "The narrative of attacks within the past 24 hours is far from the truth; nothing of such," he said. He added that security operatives were working urgently to locate and rescue the royal father.
Location and Background of Igbesi
Igbesi is a community within Oke-Onigbin town in the Isin Local Government Area, located in Kwara South senatorial district. The town is the birthplace of the late former Governor of Kwara State and former Minister of Communications, Chief Cornelius Adebayo.
The police boss said rescue efforts were "in top gear," though he gave no timeline or further details on the operation. The whereabouts of the monarch remained unknown as of the time of this report.
Related Incidents and Regional Concerns
Recall that a traditional ruler, Adeniyi Adelana, was kidnapped by armed bandits in Ondo State during a late-night attack. The gunmen shot the monarch's wife, who is receiving medical treatment after the assault by the bandits. The police have launched a search-and-rescue operation to locate the kidnapped ruler and ensure community safety.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng also reported that a traditional ruler in Kwara State died despite his family paying a N18 million ransom. The tragic incident raised alarm over increasing kidnappings of traditional leaders in Nigeria's North Central region. Kwara security forces have initiated a manhunt for kidnappers following the monarch's tragic death.



