The Catholic Diocese of Kontagora has revealed that 88 additional students have been declared missing following Friday's attack on St Mary Secondary School in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area of Niger State, bringing the total number of missing students to 303.
Escalating Crisis in Niger School
In a sobering update issued on Saturday, November 22, Most Reverend Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, the Catholic Bishop of Kontagora Diocese, confirmed the alarming increase in missing students. The bishop had initially reported that 215 students were unaccounted for immediately after the attack that occurred on Friday, November 21.
The attack also resulted in the kidnapping of four female and eight male teachers during the raid on the educational institution. The school population consisted of 430 pupils in the primary section and 199 secondary students, making it a significant educational center in the region.
Controversy Over Security Warnings
The Catholic leadership has strongly denied claims by the Niger State government that the school management received prior security warnings about potential attacks. Through his aide, Daniel Atori, Bishop Yohanna challenged the state government's assertion that they had ordered the closure of all boarding schools in the area based on intelligence reports.
"We have asked the Education Secretary if he received a circular - he said no; or if he was asked to send any to us, he said no. We asked if he was verbally informed, he also said no," the bishop stated emphatically. "Let them tell the world who they gave the circular to, or through what channel did they send it."
The diocese further verified with the National Association of Private Schools, which also confirmed not receiving any such security circular. Bishop Yohanna maintained that the institution operates within the law, countering government claims that the school had been shut down and recently reopened against directives.
Government Accusations and Growing Tensions
The Niger State government, through the Secretary to the State Government, Abubakar Usman, had earlier blamed the school management for the abduction incident. In an official statement, the government claimed that following prior intelligence, they had ordered the closure of all boarding schools in the area, but the Catholic school allegedly defied the warning and reopened.
This contradictory narrative between religious authorities and state government officials has created additional tension in the aftermath of the mass abduction. The incident represents one of the largest school abductions in recent months, highlighting the ongoing security challenges facing educational institutions in northern Nigeria.
Local communities and parents remain in distress as search operations continue for the missing students and teachers. The situation underscores the urgent need for improved security measures around schools in vulnerable regions and better communication protocols between government security agencies and educational institutions.