Wike Vows Sanctions Over Unauthorized Abuja School Closure Memo
Wike Threatens Action Over False School Shutdown Order

Federal Capital Territory Minister Nyesom Wike has issued strong warnings and taken decisive action against officials responsible for circulating an unauthorized memo ordering the closure of schools in Abuja. The minister described the incident as "unimaginable" and vowed that those involved would face severe consequences.

Unauthorized Closure Order Sparks Controversy

During an infrastructure inspection at A11 in Guzape on Wednesday, November 26, Minister Wike expressed his outrage over the situation. He emphasized that only President Bola Tinubu has the authority to approve school closures in the nation's capital and confirmed that no security threat existed to justify such action.

"There was no security threat that could have warranted the closure of schools," Wike stated firmly while addressing journalists. The minister revealed he first learned about the supposed closure through television reports, prompting immediate investigation into the matter.

FCTA Denies School Shutdown Reports

The Federal Capital Territory Administration had previously denied the school closure rumors on Tuesday, November 25. The administration labeled the information as false and potentially destabilizing to peace in the FCT.

The controversial memo originated from Aishatu Sani Alhassan, Director of School Services at the FCT Secondary Education Board. Titled "Urgent Need for Early Closure of Schools Due To Security Concerns," the document instructed school principals to end academic activities and ensure orderly student dismissal by November 28, 2025.

Lere Olayinka, Senior Special Assistant to the FCT Minister on Public Communications and Social Media, clarified that no official directive for early school closure had been issued at any administration level. He reassured parents and school authorities that the academic calendar remained unchanged.

Suspensions and Promised Sanctions

In response to the unauthorized action, Wike immediately suspended Dr. Danlami Hayyo, the Mandate Secretary for Education. The minister expressed bewilderment at how such a significant decision could be made without consulting higher authorities.

"I called the Commissioner of Police and other necessary authorities. I said, who did this? and they said, It's not in their agenda and there's no way because we don't have such a threat that will make us shut down the schools," Wike explained.

The minister confirmed that directors involved in the incident would face sanctions according to civil service rules. He questioned the rationale behind the unauthorized closure, noting that neighboring states like Kaduna, Nassarawa, and Kogi had not shut down schools despite security challenges.

Wike emphasized the importance of maintaining Abuja's security reputation, stating: "How could you have taken such an action in anticipation? I mean, even I cannot do that without letting the President know. This is the FCT. Do you know what that tells? That there's insecurity in FCT."

The minister concluded with a firm warning: "We will not forgive anybody who is involved in this," underscoring his determination to maintain order and proper protocol within the FCT administration.