South Korean Ferry Grounding: 27 Injured, Crew Arrested Over Negligence
Ferry Carrying 267 Runs Aground, Crew Arrested

A major maritime incident occurred in South Korea when a ferry carrying 267 people ran aground on rocks near Jogdo Island, resulting in multiple injuries and the arrest of two crew members.

Ferry Grounding Details and Rescue Operation

The Queen Jenuvia 2 ferry became stuck near the uninhabited Jogdo Island off Jangsan Island in Shinan County on Wednesday. The vessel was traveling from Jeju Island to the port city of Mokpo when the accident happened.

Authorities confirmed that all 267 passengers and crew members were successfully rescued from the 26,000-tonne vessel. However, the impact caused 27 people to sustain minor injuries during the incident. The ferry has since been moved to a nearby port for further inspection and investigation.

Crew Negligence and Arrests

South Korea's coast guard took swift action following the accident, arresting the helmsman and first mate for gross negligence resulting in injuries. The investigation revealed concerning details about the crew's conduct during the voyage.

Initially, the helmsman claimed there had been a steering wheel malfunction. However, he later admitted to investigators that he had been distracted by his phone and missed the crucial point where he needed to change course. This admission has raised serious questions about professional standards and safety protocols aboard the vessel.

Passenger Experiences and Social Media Reactions

Passengers aboard the ferry documented the frightening experience in real time through social media platforms. One passenger quoted by South Korea's Yonhap news agency described the moment of impact: "There was a loud bang, and then the ship tilted. An announcement told everyone to put on life jackets, so we're wearing them and waiting on the top deck."

The immediate response from crew members included instructing passengers to don life jackets and move to the upper deck as a precautionary measure. This quick action likely prevented more serious consequences.

Echoes of Sewol Ferry Disaster

The location of this incident brought back painful memories for many South Koreans, as it occurred near the site of the 2014 Sewol ferry disaster that claimed more than 300 lives, mostly schoolchildren. The Sewol tragedy remains one of South Korea's worst maritime disasters and led to significant changes in safety regulations.

Kim Namhyun, a diving instructor from Jeju Island who was aboard the Queen Jenuvia 2, told Reuters: "I thought I might die. The sound was too loud. But having seen the Sewol ferry, I knew that in situations like this, you have to stay calm, move outside, wear a life jacket, and wait."

The wreck of the Sewol ferry was eventually salvaged and brought to Mokpo nearly three years after the tragedy, making the similarities in location particularly poignant for survivors and families of victims.

Ongoing Investigation and Safety Concerns

While all passengers and crew have been safely accounted for, authorities emphasize that the investigation into the exact cause of the grounding continues. The arrests of key crew members highlight ongoing concerns about negligence and safety standards within South Korea's ferry operations industry.

This incident serves as a stark reminder of the importance of maintaining strict safety protocols and professional conduct among maritime crew members, particularly in a country still healing from previous maritime tragedies.